Are you ready to take your fire pit cooking game to the next level? One secret to great-tasting grilled food is properly seasoning your fire pit grate, just like a good old cast iron skillet.
How to Properly Season Fire Pit Grills
Seasoning your grill helps prevent food from sticking and also adds a layer of flavor to your dishes. Seasoning your grilling grate will also extend its life. After awhile the seasoning eventually cooks its way into the grate for a lifetime of flavor.
Here's how to properly season your fire pit grill:
- Clean your grill: Before you start seasoning your grill, it's important to make sure it's clean. Use a wire brush to remove any rust or residue, then wipe down the grill with a damp cloth. Make sure the grill is completely dry before you start seasoning it.
- Heat it up: Turn on your fire pit and let it get hot. The heat will make the metal more porous, therefore helping the oil absorb into the metal and create a non-stick surface.
- Apply oil: Using a brush or cloth, apply a thin layer of oil to the entire surface of the grill. Vegetable oil or canola oil work great, but you can also use coconut oil or olive oil.
- Heat it up again: Let the oil sit on the grill for about 10 minutes, then turn up the heat for about 10-15 minutes. This will help the oil bake into the metal and create a non-stick surface.
- Repeat the process: Repeat the process of applying oil and heating it up a few times to build up a non-stick surface.
- Store it properly: When you're finished cooking, make sure to store your grill properly. Cover it with a grill cover or store it in a dry place to prevent rust from forming.
You can use a similar process to treat and care for other steel pieces within your fire pit, such as the fire pit grate or surrounding fire ring. Seasoning steel that is in close contact with fire will extend its life and help to keep it looking clean. It's important to note that over time, the seasoning on your grill may start to wear off. You'll know it's time to re-season when food starts to stick to the grill. Re-seasoning your grate is easy and only takes a few minutes, so don't be afraid to do it as often as needed.
Own the Best Fire Pit Cooking Grate
So there you have it, folks! Properly seasoning your fire pit grill is a simple, yet essential step to take for delicious grilled food every time. Get ready to impress your friends and family with perfectly grilled steaks, burgers, and vegetables. Ensure you have the best fire pit cooking grate such as one from Walden Backyards - Your top-rated fire pit retailer and specialists!