How To Season Your Walden BBQ Grilling Grate
Congratulations on your purchase of a Walden BBQ Grill Grate! You are well on your way to amazing open-flame BBQ flavor! But before you throw your first Flintstone-sized steak on the grill, we recommend that you season your grate prior to its first use. Seasoning your grate is easy, and has two main benefits: 1) Easier cleaning – Food residue removal will be quicker on future cooks, and 2) Longer lifespan – Seasoning your grill regularly prevents rusting, and increases your grill’s overall lifespan.
The good news is that seasoning your new Walden BBQ Grill Grate is extremely easy, just follow these 5 simple steps:
- Before you start your fire, and while the grate is cold, coat both sides of the crosshatched part of the grate with high heat cooking oil. Canola or peanut oil work best. We prefer using a spray bottle to quicken the process.
- Wipe off excess oil with a paper towel. A thin layer of oil should remain.
- Light your fire, and place your Walden BBQ Grill Grate over the flame, until the oil burns off or the grate begins to smoke.
- The shiny finish should turn dark brown or bronze. The darker and more seasoned your grate becomes, the hotter and more evenly your food will cook. Over time, well-seasoned grates collect fats and oils that will give your BBQ an amazing flavor profile.
- You are now ready to begin cooking. After each use, apply a light coat of oil to avoid rusting.
There you have it… now get ready for some seriously awesome eats!